Set the Record Straight with a Divorce Attorney for Peoria IL
Making your wants known throughout separation proceedings is an important part of any divorce. You want to ensure you’re treated fairly, all assets and debt is appropriately distributed, and your children are taken care of. However, due to the stress of a divorce, it isn’t easy to keep your priorities in check. Instead, a divorce attorney for Peoria IL can represent your side of the separation. The lawyer at Essig Law Office can make sure you are prepared when the time for negotiations comes.
For near 50 years, Essig Law Office has helped clients through some of the most challenging parts of their lives. A divorce can be a lot for anyone to handle, so we work to take some of the load off you. Once we’ve sat down to discuss your situation, we will develop a plan to get you the best possible results. Moreover, we can protect you in situations where a spouse may be looking to take advantage of the separation proceedings.
How to Best Prepare for a Divorce
So to help the divorce process go as smoothly as possible, there are several things you can do to prepare for the fights and negotiating ahead. And for whatever you need help acquiring, a lawyer can lend a hand.
- Gather Financials
- One of the primary things to be divided in a divorce is your family’s financials. Problems like joint bank accounts, individual income, family tax returns and more will all be addressed. Additionally, by assessing your financial situation, it can be better determined how to handle potential child support. All you’ll have to do is gather your financial documents from throughout your marriage, and your lawyer can help you sort through them.
- Evaluate Your Debt and Assets
- Beyond the money in your pocket, you and your spouse will have plenty of shared assets to divide up; cars, property, mortgages, etc. Also, debt will be divided; loans, credit card debt and more. There’s a point to start at when dividing your assets and debt, document everything you can think of that is a significant part of your marriage. An attorney will assist in the documentation process and be able to identify anything you might miss.
- Have an Objective for Your Children
- For some marriages, determining when and where your children spend time with you can be a simple task. But for other separations, child custody and support battles can be long and drawn out. However, having a clear objective in mind for your children is a good start to negotiations with your spouse and a judge. Furthermore, keeping their happiness and wellness in mind should be at the top of your priorities.
Committed to Your Cases
While locals have come to us for our services as a divorce attorney for Peoria IL, we offer various other legal services meant to help you when you’re in a jam. For example, some of our practice areas are:
Contact Our Office
When you’re ready to move down the difficult path of separation, make sure you have a divorce attorney in Peoria IL you can count on. Give the team at Essig Law Office a call today. You can contact us at 309-444-8041 to schedule a free consultation. Also, we are located at 135 Washington Square, Washington, IL 61571.