Facing a Felony DUI in Washington IL? Call Essig Law
In Illinois, driving under the influence comes with some of the most severe penalties out of all traffic violations. Even for first-time DUIs, you can face steep fines, license suspension and possible jail time. Thus, it’s crucial to have an experienced traffic attorney on your side to help fight your felony DUI in Washington IL. Allow the team at Essig Law Office to assist you with your case.
Varying Levels of DUIs
In many instances, two people with similar DUI circumstances may face incredibly different charges. For this reason, one must act fast after a DUI to secure appropriate legal representation. With Essig Law, you can count on our team to handle all levels of DUIs.
- If this is your first time receiving a DUI and no initial harm was caused by your driving impairment, you’re most likely to receive a misdemeanor. However, misdemeanors are still serious offenses that come with severe penalties. For example, you could face up to one year in jail and fines of $1,000 or more.
- If your drunk driving results in injury, death, or the destruction of property, you are now contending with a felony. A felony DUI for Washington IL can cost you up to $25,000 in fines and several years of jail time. A DUI felony can also be earned if this isn’t your first DUI offense or your driving endangered minors.
What Can Be Done?
If facing DUI charges, there are only a few options available to you: expungement of charges, plea deals, court supervision or plea of not guilty. Essig Law Office will sit down with you to determine your path forward with each option.
- Expunge Charges – This option is only available to you if you were charged with a DUI, but those charges were dropped, or you were found not guilty. However, a DUI arrest, no matter the outcome, will stay on your record. You can work with an attorney to have the record sealed or expunged.
- Plea Deal – In some cases, an agreement can be met between you, the prosecutors and the judge. Through a plea deal, if you plead guilty to another related offense (reckless driving, for example), you can have DUI charges dropped. This can save you from possible jail time.
- Court Supervision – While only available to you once and for only first-time offenses, your lawyer might be able to negotiate court supervision in place of jail time. If this is the case, the court will impose conditions of your supervision. As long as you follow the agreed-upon conditions and avoid further legal trouble, your DUI can potentially be dismissed.
- Plea of Not Guilty – If you believe you were wrongly accused of your DUI charge or you received unfair treatment during your arrest, your attorney can help you either secure a not guilty plea or have DUI charges dropped.
For more questions about a felony DUI in Washington IL, or throughout the state, be sure to get in touch with the traffic lawyers at Essig Law Office today. You can contact us at 309-444-8041 to schedule a free consultation. Also, we are located at 135 Washington Square, Washington, IL 61571.