What Can Be Done About a Felony DUI in Peoria IL?
If facing a DUI charge, there’s no need to panic. While a DUI in Illinois has some of the harshest penalties associated with it, there are ways to protect yourself. With an experienced legal representative, you have the potential to avoid a conviction with your felony DUI in Peoria IL. Speak with Essig Law Office to discuss your case, and we’ll help determine your best path forward.
Understanding the Severity of DUIs
The circumstances surrounding your DUI arrest will help your attorneys decide on how to present your case best. Other factors, such as previous arrests, can also play a role in addressing your legal position.
- First Time DUI
- While first-time DUIs lack the most severe penalties, they still risk license suspension and jail time. However, if it’s your first offense and there was no damage or injury associated with your DUI, an attorney can help you get off with leniency.
- Multiple Offenses
- Once you become a repeat offender, it becomes more challenging to advocate for less harsh punishments. And in Illinois, there is no “look back” period. This means that no matter the amount of time passed between DUIs, your offenses continue to stack up.
- Felony DUIs
- No matter your first or any number offense, you face felony charges for your DUI if harm, injury or destruction occurred as the result of your driving. Felony DUIs in Peoria IL come with fines of upwards of $25,000 and several years of jail time. Fees and jail time can significantly increase if your DUI accident resulted in anyone’s death.
How an Attorney Can Help
After going over the severity of your case, Essig Law Office will present you with a few options:
- Plea Deals – Many DUI cases, especially for first-time offenses, can be negotiated into a plea deal. For example, DUI charges can be dropped, but you must plead guilty to another offense, such as reckless driving. In some cases, a plea deal might be one of the best options to get sentencing reduced.
- Court Supervision – If you have a first-time DUI with no previous criminal record and a low blood alcohol concentration upon your arrest, you might be eligible for court supervision. As a one-time option, the court can set certain conditions you must meet (drug counseling, for example) during a period where you are monitored. If you meet all conditions and stay out of trouble, DUI charges can be dropped.
- Fight in Court – Upon reviewing evidence from your DUI arrest, we can sometimes formulate a case to have charges dropped or encourage a judge to accept a not guilty plea. While these cases can be tricky, Essig Law Office has the experience and dedication necessary to help you out of a DUI conviction. Allow our team to review your case and determine if this is an obtainable result.
Talk with an Attorney
Don’t give up to the courts after being charged with a felony DUI in Peoria IL. Allow Essig Law Office to evaluate your case and present you with the best possible options. You can contact us today at 309-444-8041 to schedule a free consultation. Also, we are located at 135 Washington Square, Washington, IL 61571.