Following your recent divorce in Illinois, you are now working hard to coordinate a functional child visitation agreement with your ex. Both of you agree that your children should have ample time with both parents so they can continue to forge strong relationships with each other. At Essig Law Office, we have helped many divorcing couples to reach an amicable solution as they work together to create a child custody plan.
Custody can be a tricky topic, especially if you and your ex live further away. Arranging a time for your children to spend with you and your former spouse, determining where holidays will be spent and maintaining some type of boundary at the same time can be exhausting. Furthermore, if you are not careful, you may find your resources to be overextended in trying to be as flexible as possible. According to Parents.com, there are some general rules to follow to help you create a more positive parenting experience. Some of the things you can do include the following:
- Be honest and realistic about your schedule. Do not be afraid to say no.
- Strive to see your ex as a great parent even if he or she was not an ideal partner.
- Never speak ill about your ex in the presence of your children.
- Be selective about the issues you choose to bring up.
- Make time to listen to your children and get their input in making important decisions.
When you incorporate these suggestions as you negotiate a child custody arrangement, you may be more confident and pleased with the result. For more information about divorce, visit our web page.